The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) is asking the Russian authorities to provide all available information about the state of health of the Ukrainian director Oleg Sentsov, who is on the 38th day of a hunger strike, reported Natasha Dobreva, Sentsov’s lawyer at the ECHR and a representative of the international human rights group Agora.
"The Court sent a request to the Government of Russia on information on compliance with the requirements of articles 2 (the right to life), 3 (prohibition of torture) and 4 (prohibition of forced labor) of the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms in connection with [Sentsov’s] hunger [strike],” Dobreva told Interfax.
According to Dobreva, the ECHR also asked for the provision of information about Sentsov's current condition, as well as his medical documentation prior to June 27.
"In essence, this means that the authorities are obliged to prevent Sentsov's death, but it also does not have the right to use methods of forced feeding," Dobreva said.
The lawyer noted that the ECHR has appealed to Sentsov to cease the hunger strike. According to Dobreva, this was stated in the ECHR’s response to an urgent appeal by Sentsov’s representative that had been sent to the ECHR the day prior.
"The ECHR recalls that the Sentsov case was given priority on July 8, 2014," Dobreva said.
On June 20, Secretary General of the Council of Europe Thorbjorn Jagland announced his readiness to file a petition to pardon Sentsov.