Media: US will not sell Patriot air defense systems to Turkey if Ankara buys Russian S-400 missile systems

The United States will not supply Turkey with the Patriot anti-aircraft missile systems if Ankara acquires Russian S-400s, Turkish daily newspaper Yeni Şafak reported on Thursday with a reference to a representative of the US administration.

It became known in December that the State Department approved the sale of missile systems to Turkey for $ 3.5 billion. In particular, the State Department approved the sale of 80 Patriot missiles and 60 other missiles to Turkey, including related equipment and radar systems.

Other Turkish media sources report that if Turkey goes ahead with the purchase of S-400, the United States will not supply US F-35 fighter-bombers to Ankara.

According to the Turkish media, the deal may fail because Washington is afraid that the simultaneous presence of Russian C-400 and American F-35 in Turkey will give Russia the opportunity to study in detail the characteristics of the F-35.

The US State Department has reported that they are working with Ankara on the issue of supplying Patriot missile systems to Turkey in order to keep Ankara from acquiring Russian S-400.

On December 29, 2017, Turkey and the Russian Federation signed a loan agreement as part of a deal to supply S-400 anti-aircraft missile systems. Turkey is the first NATO country to acquire Russian air defense systems. The contract for the supply of S-400 was concluded in September.

According to the agreement, the purchase of two S-400 batteries will cost $ 2.5 billion. 55% of the amount will be covered by Russian loan. Ankara will pay the remaining 45% in advance. The first delivery is scheduled for March 2020.

  Russia, Turkey, Patriot anti-missile defense systems, S-400 missile systems